• Quoted Paper: Grief among near-death experiencers: pathways through religion and meaning*
Sherman A. Lee, Alissa Feudo and Jeffrey A. Gibbons Department of Psychology, Christopher Newport University, 1 Avenue of the Arts, Newport News, VA 23606,
USA Mental Health, Religion & Culture, 2014
(Received 14 March 2014; accepted 17 June 2014)
*I am well quoted here, thus, this will be a good reference piece for researchers who use my work in theirs.
• FROM NEAR-DEATH KIDS TO THE NEW KIDS: AN EVOLVING WORLD (PDF File) presented August 31, 2013 at the IANDS Conference, in Arlington, VA (Links to required charts provided at end of PDF)
• GUEST EDITORIAL: NDE as a Threshold Experience Journal of Near-Death Studies, 29(4), Summer 2011.
- Separate Paper delivered September 4, 2011 in Durham, North Carolina
• Paper: ENHANCED ABILITIES AFTER AN NDE: TRANSFORMATION AND SELF-DECEPTION (PDF File) Paper delivered October 16, 2009 San Diego, CA at the Annual Conference of the International Association For Near-Death Studies.
• "A Perspective on Contradictory Revelations of Near-Death Experiencers," appeared as the Guest Editorial in "Journal of Near-Death Studies, Vol. 27, No. 4, Summer 2009.
• Paper: “CHANGES IN DREAMING AFTER NEAR-DEATH STATES" (PDF File) Presented October 24, 2008 at the International Association for the Study of Dreams 2008 'Psiber Dreaming Conference' held entirely online with a large turnout (followed by three days of individual discussion posts from interested attendees).
• A Letter to the Editor (about embellishments): Published in the Journal of Near-Death Studies, Vol. 26, No. 3, Spring 2008, pages 219-223. (PDF File)
• Paper: "Is the Afterlife What We Think It is? A Challenge from Near-Death Studies" (PDF File) Presented at the 33rd annual conference of the Academy of Spirituality and Paranormal Studies on June 1, 2008 on the theme "Beyond the Veil: Evidence for Life After Death."
• Paper - NEAR-DEATH STATES: THE PATTERN OF AFTEREFFECTS (PDF file) Presented at the First International Congress on Ecstatic States, Hannover Medical School, Germany on May 23, 2008
• Paper - "Children's Near-Death States: New Research, A New Model." Presented to at the 32nd Annual Conference of the Academy of Spirituality and Paranormal Studies, 6-2-07, DeSales University. In their Proceedings Book.
• Paper, "What in the World," presented as a talk for the IANDS Conference, "Near-Death Experiences: 30 Years of Research," 10-28-06, at the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX. The paper is a summary of the millions of miles traveled and people met since Dr.Atwater began her research in 1978.
• Chapter "Understanding the Near-Death Experience: Why Hasn't Science Gotten It Right?" in Forbidden Religion, edited by Doug Kenyon, Bear &Co. (Inner Traditions), Rochester, VT, May 2006.
• Talk "The Aftereffects: Simple, Fun Ways to Integrate Them," presented 9-8-05 to the Virginia Beach, VA conference of the International Association For Near-Death Studies.
• September 10, 2005, the International Association of Near-Death Studies (IANDS) presented P. M. H. Atwater, L.H.D. with their "Outstanding Service Award," accompanied by a film tribute to her in recognition of what she has achieved during the last three decades. Her husband, Terry Atwater, was honored as the unsung hero behind her work. Dr. Atwater told the audience: "Near-death experiencers talk about angels. I want you all to know I married mine." This award and tribute is especially meaningful to Dr. Atwater because Pim van Lommel, M.D., the cardiologist from Holland whose paper was published in "Lancet" medical journal was presented the Bruce Greyson Research Award during the same ceremony. She had been instrumental with several others in suggesting that he publish his paper and that he send it to "Lancet." In 2001, when she was staying with Pim and his wife at their home in Holland, she "broke the rules of etiquette" and nagged him until he finally mailed in his paper. It was published in "Lancet" on 12-15-01, the largest and most thorough research ever done on near-death experiences, a paper that has garnered global attention and has gone on to establish near-death states as a real phenomenon, unrelated to oxygen deprivation, drugs, hallucinations, and so forth. Seeing him receive such a well-deserved award capped off the ceremony for her.
• P. M. H. Atwater, L.H.D. was presented the "Lifetime Achievement" Award by the National Association of Transpersonal Hypnotherapists at their 2005 Conference in Virginia Beach, VA. This was especially meaningful to her because, in the sixties and early seventies, she had a practice in transpersonal hypnotherapy when no one else had ever heard of such a thing. Her first teacher, the late Dr. Irene Hickman, had been previously honored by NATH for the same award.
• A Letter to the Editor (about Internet Research): "Near-Death Experiences Before and After 1975," published in the Journal of Near-Death Studies Vol. 22, No. 4, summer 2004, pp. 281-284. (PDF File)
• Research that verifies my findings about synesthesia (multiple sensing) being a common and consistent aftereffect of near-death states: "A Comparative Study of Near-Death Experience and Non-Near-Death Experience Outcomes in 56 Survivors of Clinical Death," by Richard J. Bonenfant, Ph.D., Malcolm Randall Veterans Admnistration, Medical Center, Gainesville, FL. Published in Journal of Near-Death Studies, 22(3), Spring, 2004, pages 155-178.
• Papers, unless otherwise stated, were published in the Journal of Near-Death Studies, IANDS, 2741 Campus Walk Avenue, #500 Durham, NC 27705-8878 - (919) 383-7940 voice/fax. Audio tapes of presentations at International Association For Near-Death Studies (IANDS) conferences obtain from the same address.
• Guest Editorial, "Beginnings and Endings," carried in the Journal of Near-Death Studies, Vol. 23, No. 1, Fall, 2004.
• Research Paper: "Revelations" Presented to the 2004 Conference of the International Association For Near-Death Studies, Evanston, IL. My last formal research paper for IANDS. I now stand on 26 years of work, having had some of my findings clinically verified in prospective studies and with a research base of nearly 4,000 adults and child experiencers of near-death states.
• Research Paper: "SUBJECTIVE LIGHT: DIFFERENT TYPES AND A NEW VIEW" self-published to internet (no longer available as of 2011) September 2003.
• Research Paper: "Children's Near-Death States: New Research, A New Model" self-published to internet (no longer available as of 2011) September 2003.
• Research paper, "Adults' Near-Death States: A Transformation of Consciousness," self-published to internet (no longer available as of 2011) August 2003.
• Research paper, "Our Tiniest Near-Death Experiencers: Startling Evidence Suggestive of a Brain Shift," published in The Journal of Religion and Psychical Research, April 2003 edition.
• Paper entitled: "Our Tiniest Near-Death Experiencers: Startling Evidence Suggestive of a Brain Shift." Presented at the International Conference on Near-Death States, Honolulu, Hawaii, by the International Association For Near-Death Studies (IANDS). 1-10-2003
• Presented "What the Near-Death Experience Reveals about Consciousness" to the 3rd International Congress of Projectiology and Conscientiology meeting in The New York Academy of Medicine, New York City. Paper in their Proceedings Book. Institute headquartered in Brazil, with offices in New York. Contact: 1-800-778-3778. 4-18-2002
• Book Review of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Near-Death Experiences" by Gracia Fay Ellwood, Ph.D., in Journal of Near-Death Studies, Vol. 20, No. 3, Spring 2002, pages 207-209.
• "Near-Death Experiences in Children," in The Journal of Religion and Psychical Research, Vol. 25, No. 1, January, 2002, pages 26-29.
• By invitation, a collection of Dr. P.M.H.Atwater's commercially published and self-published books are now in the Ram Das Library, Omega Institute - Department of Institutional Advancement, Rhinebeck, NY. 1-9-2002
• Research paper "Near-death experience in survivors of cardiac arrest: a prospective study in the Netherlands" by Pim van Lommel, M.D., in Lancet Medical Journal, Vol. 358, pages 2039--2045. This study, the most conclusive yet done on near-death states clinically verifies some of Dr. Atwater's findings; she and her book "Coming Back To Life" are referenced in the text. 12-15-2001
• Speaker at IANDS Conference in Seattle, WA. Presentation: "What the Near-Death Experience Reveals About Consciousness." 7-24-2001
• "Journal of Near-Death Studies," Vol. 19, No. 4, Summer, 2001, carried two book reviews of Dr. Atwater's "Children of the New Millennium." The supportive review was done by Thomas A. Angerpointner, M.D., Ph.D. The critical one was done by Harold A. Widdison, Ph.D. The controversy these reviews produced is carried in full on this website in the NDE Article section - including Dr. Atwater's defense and Dr. Widdison's rejoiner, both to be published in the "Journal" in 2002. 6-2001
• Keynote speaker for IANDS--The Netherlands (Merkawah), in Driebergen. Presentation: "Children of the New Millennium" and "The Evolutionary Aspects of Near-Death States." 11-26-2000
• Keynote speaker for the 1st annual conference of the Society of Transpersonal Psychiatrists, The Netherlands. Meeting held in Driebergen, information about her in their "Journal." Presentation: "What the Near-Death Experience Reveals About Consciousness" and "The Incredible Aftereffects of Near-Death States." 11-25-2000
• Pre-Conference workshop on the "Brain Shift/Spirit Shift" theoretical model being developed by Dr. P.M.H.Atwater. Held at Utrecht, The Netherlands. 11-24-2000
• Meeting to discuss a "Mutual European Near-Death Research Project," at Utrecht, after the Pre-Conference workshop. Seven countries were represented: United States, Holland, Germany, Hungary, Belgium, Austria, and Switzerland. Germany and Hungary have since launched ambitious near-death research projects. 11-24-2000
• "Startling Discoveries About Children Who Have Near-Death Experiences," research paper published in Proceeding Book of 4th International New Science Symposium, Sejong Cultural Center, Seoul, South Korea (Minaisa Club), 9-24-00.
• "COMING BACK TO LIFE," professional critique of book by Nancy Evans Bush, published in Journal of Near-Death Studies, Vol. 7, No. 2, Winter 1988.
• "The Aftereffects of the Near-Death Phenomenon" (presentation/paper), at Second International Conference on Paranormal Research, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO - June 1-4, 1989. Paper published in their Proceedings Book.
• "Is There A Hell? Surprising Observations About the Near-Death Exper Experience" (guest editorial/paper), published in Journal of Near Death Studies, Vol. 10, No. 3, Spring 1992.
• "The Seven Major Aftereffects of the Near-Death Experience: Positive and Negative Aspects," presented at IANDS Near-Death Conference, 1993, St. Louis, MO.
• "Physiological Aftereffects, Including Electrical Sensitivity," presented at IANDS Near-Death Conference, 1993, St. Louis, MO.
• "Electrical Sensitivity: An Update on How It Can Effect Near-Death Experiencers," presented at IANDS Near-Death Conference, 1994, San Antonio, TX.
• "Heavenly or Hellish, The Value of Near-Death Imagery," presented at IANDS Near-Death Conference, 1994, San Antonio, TX.
• "A Call to Reconsider the Field of Near-Death Studies" (guest editor editorial/paper), published in Journal of Near-Death Studies, Vol. 14, No. 1, Fall 1995.
• "BEYOND THE LIGHT," professional critique of book by Joseph Chilton Pearce, published in Journal of Near-Death Studies, Vol. 14, No. 1, Fall 1995.
• "Children and the Near-Death Experience, Another View," as presented at IANDS Near-Death Conference, 1995, Hartford, CT.
• "Children and the Near-Death Phenomenon, Another Viewpoint" (guest editorial/paper), published in Journal of Near-Death Studies, Vol. 15, No. 1, Fall 1996.
• "Brain Shift: Using the Near-Death Experience as a Theoretical Model to Explore the Transformation of Consciousness," presented at IANDS Near-Death Conference, 1996, Oakland, CA.
• "The Near-Death Experience" (presentation/paper), at International Forum on New Science, Denver Hilton South, Denver, CO - October 2-6, 1996. Paper published in their Proceedings Book.
• "The Future Memory Phenomenon" (presentation/paper), at International Forum on New Science, Denver Hilton South, Denver, CO - Octo October 2-6, 1996. Paper published in their Proceedings Book.
• "The Anatomy of a Transformation: An Analysis of the Psychological Structure of Four Near-Death Experiences," Patti R. White, Ph.D. (the first serious study based on my research of the four types of near-death experiences). Published in Journal of Near-Death Studies, Vol. 15, No. 3, Spring 1997.
• "Second Birth - What Really Happens When Children Have a Near-Death Experience," presented at IANDS Near-Death Conference, 1997, San Antonio, TX.
• "The Four Phases of Integration - and The Unspoken Grief," presented at IANDS Near-Death Conference, 1997, San Antonio, TX.
• "Aftermath: Startling Differences Between Adult and Child Experiencers," presented at IANDS Near-Death Conference, 1998, Salt Lake City, Utah.
• "The Three Very Different Types of Subjective Light," presented at IANDS Near-Death Conference, 1998, Salt Lake City, Utah.
• "FUTURE MEMORY," professional critique of book by biophysicist Deno Kazanis, Ph.D., published in Journal of Near-Death Studies, Vol. 17, No. 1, Fall 1998.
• "Concerning Anesthetically-Induced Frightening Near-Death Experiencers," (letter to editor), published in Journal of Near-Death Studies, Vol. 17, No. 2, Winter 1998.
• "The Future Memory Phenomenon," (letter to editor), published in Journal of Near-Death Studies, Vol. 17, No. 3, Spring 1999.
• "Children of the New Millennium," Keynote address, presented at IANDS International Conference, 1999, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
• "Let's Talk About God," a group interactive session with near-death experiencers, IANDS International Conference, 1999, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
Currently giving talks and workshops that qualify for CEU Credits for health-care providers through host group's state certification body.
Initiated and helped establish IANDS NDE RESEARCH FUND in 1995, to carry near-death research into its next phase of work and computerization.
Board Member, IANDS, two terms. Elected to position of 2nd Vice President.
Columnist for original Vital Signs Magazine, IANDS. "Coming Back" ran from 1981, off and on, for 5 years. Published initial research findings in that column, as an advocate for the near-death survivor.
Columnist for current Vital Signs Newsletter, IANDS. "Another Look....The Experience/The Experiencer" 1997 to 2004. Archive at: pmhatwater.com
Columnist for monthly newsletter of the "Near-Death Experiences and the Afterlife " website at http://www.near-death.com 2003 to 2010.
Began independent research of Near-Death Phenomenon in 1978; continuous. Specialize in field-work interviews, observations, analysis; all work cross-checked at least 4 times, questionnaires used where appropriate. Research base now over 3,000 adult experiencers and 277 child experiencers, not counting significant others.
Did independent research of Transformations of Consciousness, 1966-1976, while living in state of Idaho.